Monday, November 30, 2009

In the District of Columbia!


In one fell swoop, I added a few more states to my list. Whohoooo. Okay I travelled here by Acela Express is Amtrak's rail service that uses high-speed tilting trains. Acela operates in the Northeast United States between Washington, D.C., and Boston via Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York. The tilting design allows the train to travel at higher speeds on the sharply curved rails without spilling my coffee, by lowering lateral centrifugal forces, based on the concept of banked turns while they attain speeds of 150 mph (240 km/h).



So... how fast is 150 mph I hear you say... You better watch this video then!


Okay, I am ensconsed in a Red Roof Inn and because it was booked on one of those 'blind' websites... It is situated on the Red Line and yes, the last stop, which makes it halfway to Florida! Well, in Maryland anyway. Only 39 minutes from Downtown. :-)

Okay, so I spent the day in an open top tourbus... IN THE RAIN! Plus side, no tourists, bad side, wet shorts from sitting in a plastic bucket seat. Was good though. Went to dry off in the International Spy museum and it must be one of the best museums ever! I also trawled through the Smithsonian Space and Flight Museum and the Museum of African Art. Both were very good. Oh, and the squeaky shoe is still at it. Haha, all quiet and reverent museum and then all you hear is squeak, step, squeak, step...










No comments:

Post a Comment