Wednesday, August 24, 2011

American Roadtrip: Day 4 - Bluelights and Bluegrass in Nashville

So... about 30 minutes outside Memphis I got pulled over by a cop. Psheesh. I was overtaking a truck at 72 mph in a 70 mile stretch. He said that he pulled me over because I was speeding. Me, not the truck that was limited to 65mph which I had to overtake at 72... He must have seen my incredulous look and said that well, he saw my Texas plates and he was from Dallas etc... blah, blah, blah. We talked about Jamie Foxx and that he was from Terrell etc. Shooting the breeze for 10 minutes, he hands me my license back warned me to keep it below 70 and bids me a good day.

I had to laugh. Well, after I drove off that is. 


So I made it to Nashville, which happens to be the capital of the U.S. state of Tennessee. It is located on the Cumberland River in Davidson County, in the north-central part of the state. The city is a center for the health care, publishing, banking and transportation industries, and is home to a large number of colleges and universities. It is most notably known as a center of the music industry, earning it the nickname "Music City".

Tomorrow I will explore the city more and I will let you now. For today though, it was all about Bluegrass music. First I ended up in Robert's Western World and Honky Tonk Grill. well it is Cowboy Boots and fried Bologna sandwiches with a band playing. After a quick visit to Hatch Show Print who is one of the oldest working letterpress print shops in America, who over the years' posters have featured a host of country music performers, ranging from Country Music Hall of Famers Hank Williams, Bill Monroe, and Johnny Cash to contemporary stars such as Garth Brooks and Wynonna.



I ended up at my original target, Layla's.


I listened to a band of siblings that used to be in a band called Jypsi, but the band disbanded and now the siblings just play. I lost the plot here a bit as Lillie Mae, the sibling in charge explained it to me later on. Maybe it was the beer, I had to concentrate a lot just to look interested and not look as confused as I felt, so I nodded a lot with a very stupid grin on my face.

The music was awesome though! From cover songs like Mule Skinner Blues to Jolene to a lot of self written stuff, I enjoyed it all. Take a listen to Lillie Mae HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment