Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Mediatating on Isaiah 58

I have been praying and meditating a lot this last few months as to what God wants me to do for the future, do I stay in the US, do I return to the ship or do I attempt going to Mercy Ships South Africa...

I keep coming back to Isaiah 58:10-11

and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.

The LORD will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.

Okay, we all know that Isaiah preached hope! For me hope is the lifeblood of the message and as so often in the Old Testament, this hope is expressed through beautiful poetic images. Is it because hope transcends reality. I think we need to sometimes transcend our reality. Reality can be grinding. We need to believe in something bigger and better and more beautiful, especially when we’re tired and close to being burned out. Luckily, I believe that Isaiah was a great poet. Let me highlight the poetry that he offered.

“Your light shall rise in the darkness!” That almost sounds like advent doesn’t it? Well, believe me, but this was advent in the truest sense. Advent means “arrival”! This was a true Advent moment when the exiles returned to Jerusalem. They were still surrounded by darkness, their depression stemming from a broken community and the uncertainties surrounding their future. But there was hope, proclaimed by the prophets. Now they struck a different tone, one of comfort and hope: “Listen, people: Your light shall rise in the darkness!”

“You shall be like a watered garden.” Can you see how easily this image relates to people. This is my cry to God for my soul, for life as it surely feel parched and dry.

So where does this all leads to?

I know I am staying in the field but where... Here, West Africa or South Africa. I need more guidance Lord, and a map might help too! Please keep me in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment