Monday, February 22, 2010

American Cultural Observation 112 : Girl Scout Cookies

Continuing on my quest to try and understand America better I am about to break into another bastion of American culture… Girl Scout Cookies! Yep, I am eagerly looking forward to this one! I got my hands on the mother load and will steadily (for the good of mankind!) work my way through them and will let you know what I find out!

Girl Scout Cookies are a familiar part of American culture. For more than 80 years, Girl Scouts, with the enthusiastic support of their families, have helped ensure the success of local Girl Scout Cookie activities. From its earliest beginnings to its current popularity, the sale of cookies has helped Girl Scouts have fun, develop valuable life skills and make the world a better place by helping to support Girl Scouting in their communities. Girls are proud that their efforts provide resources for their local Girl Scout councils and for their own Girl Scout troops/groups.

The first box I am cracking open – and only because I have two of them – is the Thin Mints: Thin, mint-flavored chocolate wafers dipped in a chocolate coating. I agree it is a mint flavored wafery cookie dipped in chocolate. HIGHLY addictive and should come with a warning on the box. I offered it around the office and EVERYONE took some, my research here is a bit muddy. Is it because the cookies are indeed yummy, or just because it was 11.30 in the morning and everyone was hungry. It is a pretty high 160 calories for only 4 cookies, but hey, NO cholesterol! Admittedly I fell off the wagon and had more than my daily allowance and scarfed 6 cookies while doing ‘research’. Come on people, I helped a girl scout attain courage, confidence and character while losing my own!

2 comments:

  1. I am proud to say that I was first a Brownie Scout and then a Girl Scout for 3 years! Scouts Honor! And I too sold these marvelous delicacies. There are double beneficiaries from the sale of the cookies - those who enjoy the great taste sensations, and the girl scouts themselves. For me, selling the cookies enabled me to go to camp where I learned to be prepared, team work, problem solving, courage, and the importance of good character, and citizenship. You can be the judge if the investment was more than a few mere calories!
    You Go Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive always wanted to know if they are made from real girl scouts

    ReplyDelete