Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Low Anthem


Okay, if you know me at all, you will know that I am an intelligent music nut, if you don't... shame on you for not knowing me well enough! Hands down, I LOVE this band. In these Britney Spears days, how gut wrenchingly refreshing does this beautiful band not sound.

The Low Anthem's trio met at university in Rhode Island and have won fans with their fragile Americana. Their instruments include a WWI portable pump organ, a rusty saw, a nipple gong, a "gut-strung parlor axe" and "enough harmonicas to summon a swarm of locusts".

Leonie Cooper, music journalist, NME & The Guardian:

With a former Nasa employee among their ranks, it was surprising that The Low Anthem's glorious brand of moonshine folk shimmered with an otherworldly brilliance. One of the few albums to lead me to tears in '09 (in the best possible way, of course), this was a delicate, graceful addition to the host of records by the plaid shirts'n'beard brigade headed up by Fleet Foxes and Grizzly Bear.


With my birthday coming up... PLEASE dear Jesus, could I have one of their albums available from their website at http://www.lowanthem.com :-)



With thanks to the BBC for putting me on to The Low Anthem. Photo Willa Mamot Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment