Saturday, July 3, 2010

Roadtrip: Austin, Texas! – Independence Day Parade in Belton, TX

Being the 4th of July long weekend, I decided to explore the capital of Texas a wee bit more. While doing my research I found out that according to the USA Today newspaper, the little town of Belton, TX is one of their 10 most favorite places to wave the American flag this weekend, and it just so happened to be on my way...

So, while it rained on and off, I vigorously waved the little free flag, and I concur with the USA Today people, it was a fun place to wave the flag. Thank you good people of Belton for keeping me supplied with free water, Crystal Light, koozies and paper fans while waiting for the parade to pass.

I had my own world cup moment when they started selling every kid an annoying vuvuzela like plastic horn. Alhough a lot shorter it emitts a sound not unlike a deer in heat while suffering from terrible constipation. Needless to say I only lasted an hour before I left town with a splitting headache.

In the United States, Independence Day, commonly known as the Fourth of July, is a federal holiday commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, declaring independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain. Independence Day is commonly associated with fireworks, parades, barbecues, carnivals, fairs, picnics, concerts, baseball games, political speeches and ceremonies, and various other public and private events celebrating the history, government, and traditions of the United States.










Uncle Sam

The other Uncle Sam...



No comments:

Post a Comment