Thursday, December 10, 2009

What I saw in the White House

Thanks to the Washington Post I can show you what I saw on my tour of the White House! No camera needed after all!

For the 2009 holiday season, first lady Michelle Obama embellished the Red Room with cranberry garlands and wreaths. Two Fraser fir trees in gilded Versailles boxes are accented with cranberries and deep red velvet and taffeta ribbons.



The East Room is decorated for the 2009 holidays with fresh garlands, blue hydrangea, seeded eucalyptus and beaded fruit.



The State Dining Room displays the White House's annual gingerbread house, designed and constructed by White House pastry chef Bill Yosses and his team. I had the honor of meeting Bill as they just finished putting the cake in place just as I passed to gawk! I shook his hand and he beamed ear to ear as I drooled over his creation! This year's additions to the miniature White House include depictions of the Kitchen Garden on the South Lawn and a shadow box that lets viewers glimpse a gingerbread version of the State Dining Room.



The State Dining Room's 2009 decorations were designed to complement the coloring in the William Cogswell portrait of President Abraham Lincoln, which hangs above the fireplace on the west wall.



All photos - Marvin Joseph-TWP To see the whole presentation go to http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2009/12/09/GA2009120903781.html?nav=hcmoduletmv

No comments:

Post a Comment